Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New paintings

So here are 2 paintings I didn't blog about quite yet.  I have a thing with painting for my friends, even if they don't want it and had yet to paint anything for my roommate.  She has a very earthy vibe and as you can tell, my paintings tend to be in your face colors, so I had a little trouble figuring out what to paint for her.  I have been thinking about this since before Christmas.  I saw a necklace on a guest I had at the resort I work at which was the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil in all gold.  I was slightly obsessed with the charm, but was (and still am) unable to find it ANYWHERE.  Then, of course, I got the brilliant idea to paint her it.  

I am a Genius!

She is very into spirituality and not necessarily religion, so I really wanted to combine the 2 (even though I believe they are one in the same anyways).  Elements, nature and the universe are very important things we give gratitude to, so painting Christ as the sun, was perfect.  I drew inspiration from 2 specific pictures.  One of the sunset/sunrise behind the statue and one of him gazing over his people.








I used this picture for the details. 



Finished product :)





My next idea for a painting came when I was watching Oprah, and on one of her final episodes, she quoted Glinda the Good Witch from the Wizard of Oz as her favorite quote.  It really moved me.  Usually the simplest quotes are the ones that have the biggest impact.  



"This too shall pass."
helps me through the rough patches.



"Just be love."
reminds me to practice what I preach.



"Believe in the good in people."
reminds me that everyone has that good side.



"You always had the power."
reminds me to believe in myself, even when I feel desperately defeated


One of my favorite memories when I was a child, was watching Wizard of Oz and seeing Glinda arrive in Munchkin land in a bubble.  I LOVED seeing that and would frequently rewind it over and over again.  I mean come on, who wouldn't want to arrive places in a pink bubble??



Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment